Friday, August 11, 2006

A tale of a CD Writter!!!!!

Well,I had a CD writter earlier....but,due 2 some unfortunate things,it stopped working couple of years ago... 2 b exact, 8 days after the warrenty period was over!!! Hmmmm...tht was strange.. I baught it frm a local computer assembler.... Then,all these days,i was doing stuff without cd writter. I was planning 2 ask dad 2 buy a new 1(Infact,I was planning on a DVD writter!!!) but due 2 certain unfortunate chain of events I couldnt even ask him 4 a floppy drive!!! So, 2 days back,wen i was in home after a week long trip 2 my native place,he asked me 2 buy a new cd writter!! I was amaized!!! ten I found out tht it was my younger bro who did the trick!! Dunno wht he did,and i dont need 2 find out either... The end result is tht he gave me money 2 buy a new 1..

This time around,I didnt want 2 mess around with...so,I went 2 Logtec,and asked 4 a new 1...Baught an LG as sony was not available at tht time...The price 2 was very low!!! Almost the cost which I had 2 pay wen I baught my first CD drive!!! I checked it...it luks good..So,I brought it 2 home,carefully,in a bag... Oppened up my system...and removed the old drive...with a look tht Chappel had wen he removed sourav... Mate,U wer good,but now,v dont need u!!U c ter is a new CD Writter on block!!hehe...

Then,i switched on the system...new drive detected...OK...everything luks good.. ten,i decided 2 test it...Had an old CD RW with me... So,i decided 2 write something to it!! I inserted the disk and then...waited 4 something 2 happen....and,Something did happen!!! I have never watched it but has heard it a thousand times.... Just lik the first supply tht u get...U have heard abt. it...u know tht u must try 2 prevent it....But it strikes u wen u r least prepared 4 it!!! OK OK...so,here is wht happened.... The RW BROKE....ya...thts right....it BROKE inside my new CD drive!! I just didnt know wht 2 do!! Shld I open the drive,and clean it myself?? Or shld I call Logtec?? Anyway,I opened the system,took out the drive and oppened the CD tray.... abt 10-15 pieces of CD came out... I cld hear some sounds frm inside the drive which confirmed my worst fears... ter r lots of pieces still inside the drive....

Then,as I analysed my situation...the engineer inside me came out!! wht 2 do?? wht 2 do?? I tried 2 think logically(???).... I put all the broken pieces on my table,and then tried 2 fix it...lik a Jigsaw puzzle!! Hmmm...abt 75% got out...I guess...but rest r still inside the drive!! Ten,wen i shaked the drive...along with some dust,a small metallic part,which i beleive belongs 2 the drive also came out!! OK...time out.....I decided 2 call in the experts...I called Logtec,and explained my situation 2 them!!they said in a cool and composed voice...Bring the drive 2 our office 2morow...V'll clean it up...everything will b OK then... I was releaved 2 hear their Calm voice..

I tought "OK...they know how 2 handle it...thts good.. 2morow,they will open it up and clean it...nothing much 2 it..."

So,on the next day,after my mom and dad has gone 2 office,I took it 2 Logtec...Wen the bus reached vellayambalam,I remembered tht I forgot 2 take tht metallic clip or something tht came out of the drive...damn... But since it is just cleaning,I tought not 2 return and take it...Wen I reached Logtec,I didnt tought it was worth 2 mention abt tht tiny little thing tht fell frm the drive!! A guy in maintanence room took the drive casually,examined it,by shaking it and confirmed tht there r pieces of RW still in it... He was really cool...asked me 2 wait while he cleans it up...OK, I tought tht it wld b easy...I waited for abt 25 minutes wen he returned 2 me and handed me the drive and said" Sorry this drive wont work!! U need 2 buy another one."

I was shattered!!Buy another one!!! This 1 wasnt even 1 day old!!Oh my God...where have I gone wrong??Luks lik I am not supposed 2 have an CD RW... I told him..."I bought it only yesterday...Blah...Blah..."

He said tht then I shld take it 2 LG customer care office at Thaikad!! But warned me tht I shld not tell tht the CD was broken inside it...He has cleaned it well,and the only thing 2 do now is 2 lie 2 them...Lie??I asked...No probs...Tht is my speciality.....So,frm ter,I took an Auto 2 the office...It was raining...so,I decided 4 an Auto.. I reached ter and told them tht the drive is not working.. I tried 2 act as dumb as I cld abt computers...

They :- Is there power indicator showing??
Me :- Yes,I have turned on the Computer..
They :- NO...No...the Drive!!!
Me :- How do you know tht??
They:- Was the yellow light on when you turned the computer?
Me :- Oh...so tht 1 was for power...yes...yes...it was on...
Me:- But no cd was detected in it!!!
They:- OK..v need 2 open it up and check if there is anyting wrong with it!! Plz call 2morow and come!!
Me :- sure...No probs...

It was then I realised tht my old skill of telling lies convincingly is not gone...It is still ter!!Good...I decided 2 walk frm Thycaud 2 vellayambalam... Not because it was Raining or because there r no buses through tht route...but because I didnt have enough money!! I have spent it on auto!! So,while I was walking...my mind told me something was wrong some where!! Couldnt make it out wht was wrong!!! But whenever this feeling comes...i know tht something is gng 2 happen!!! I traced the events tht happened!!! The dialoges tht were spoken!! Did I give them any clue?? Nah....i know tht I didnt!! Then...it struk 2 me....

LG Guy:- OK..v need 2 open it up and check if there is anyting wrong with it!! Plz call 2morow and come!!

Open it up!!!Oh my God....tht metal thing frm drive!!!Oh my God...they will know tht it is missing...It is quiet large thing!!! Oh my God...I cld have asked tht Logtec guy 2 fix tht also!! Damn U Idiot!!!! Now c wht ur lazyness has caused u!! Anyway wht 2 do now but 2 hope 4 the best!!!!I was thinking how much money I had currently!!Enough 4 a CD writter??Atleast a second hand?? Nah...not even enough 4 a second hand floppy drive!! So,having nothing more 2 do,I went home...took a rest...and on next day...i.e 2day...I called them!!!

Me:- Hello LG office,I am Naveen...wht abt my drive tht I gave 2 u yesterday??
LG :- Wait a second...
Me:- OK...waiting 2 hear the question" did u open the drive?? An essential thing is missing!!"
after a wait of abt 1 minute....the lady spoke!!

LG:- Congrats...ur drive is working properly...V fixed it!!
Me:- Wht??It is working?? I mean working properly?? R u sure abt it?? Did u check it?? And test it??
LG:- yes,v used it 2 write a CD...it works...
Me:- How is it possible??I mean,wht was wrong with it??
LG:- U c the firmware s/w inside it was outdated...it has v1.0.4 inside it...latest is v1.0.5.. V dloded it and Installed it!!
Me :- Wht s/w problem?? R u sure it is not h/w related??
LG:- Yes...I am sure...U can come and collect it!!!
Me:- Sure...No problem ..Then remembering tht I was supposed 2 b an Illitrate in computers...So shld I also Install tht s/w...or D'load it??
LG:- No no...it is firmware...no need 4 u 2 install it in ur system!!
Me:- OK...

Within half an hour...i went ter,took it and went home....Connected it and switched it on...Hoorah!!!It is working... Thank God..... I took a CD and inserted in it...It was reading!!OK...so,luks good!!! So,I began 2 wonder....wht was the actual problem with the drive?? I know tht it is no firmware problem!! And most important...wht is the need of tht metallic clip or whatever?? It is still here,in my table!!Hmmmm....lots of questions remain unanswered!!!
But the important thing is tht my drive is working!!!

So,this was my main activity 4 last 2 days!!!! And,thankfully,It ended well...

p.s. :- 1 of my frnd saw Kabhi alvida naa kehna and recommended me 2 kill any1 who is planning 2 watch it...If I dont kill them,they will suffer a fate much worse tht death!!!

another frnd told me this news....His class is divided into mohanlal and mammoty fans club.. After watching keerthychakra....this dialogue occured...

Mammooty fans:- Keerthi chakra adipoly cinema... ugran fights,location and songs...Ellavarum poyi kaanenda cinema!!

Lalettan fans:- wht??ivanmarkku enthu patti?? Finally,they have realised the value of 1 and only lalettan...kollam...kollam..

Mammukka fans:- Nangal sharrikkum parayuka...ugran film...aathe nee... Nayakan Jeevan...aathu kondu kandirikkam!!!

Ya thts rite ppl...Mohanlal has no major role 2 play in it...Jeevan has got much of roles...But I have heard it as a good movie!!Hmmmm...must try 2 watch it...

C ya ppl...
Naveen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ninte oru cd writer eda pattu ormayundo sarkar enna cinema, athu kaanan vendi RW kondu vannappol nee paranjathu " sorry aliya CD writer illa njan parayan marannu poyi ennu "

naveen said...

Ya man...I remember...aathinenta...nee ippl va aaliya...I have it now!!